Free Arts Day Facilitator
Free Arts Day Program Facilitators support Free Arts Day Program Managers in leading program events. This includes assisting Program Managers with day-of logistics (un-packing art supplies, setting up and breaking down event spaces, greeting and directing volunteers, coordinating youth participants, collecting enrollment paperwork, etc); supporting and guiding positive engagement between volunteer mentors and kids throughout program events, and upholding Free Arts NYC’s philosophy.
Under the guidance of Free Arts Day Program Manager the Facilitator will:
- Supervise a team of 4-10 Volunteer Leaders at FAD events.
- Maintain a safe, supportive environment in accordance with Free Arts NYC’s policies and training.
- Remain alert to the needs of Volunteer Mentors; assist them when required, encouraging them to fully participate in all activities and engage with the youth.
- Remain alert to the needs of youth participants and assist them as required.
- Communicate openly with partner agency staff about any needs involving facility and program participants.
- 2 years experience facilitating programs for underserved youth – in school, community center and/or social service agency settings
- 2 years experience in event production, hospitality, or a related industry
- Experience teaching/co-teaching and implementing Positive Youth Development
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Strong sense of initiative and “hustle”
- Excellent communication and organizational skills (public speaking experience a plus)
- Ability to: lift bins up to 50 pounds: be on your feet for 4-6 hours, bend down to pick up objects, and move swiftly around gyms and classrooms throughout events
- Applicants must be 18 years & over to apply
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per event. Must be able to commit to a minimum of 12 events per year.
Summer schedule: Weekdays 9 am – 3 pm
School year schedule: Weekday afternoons (2 – 6 pm) and Saturdays (9 am – 2 pm)
Please note: Must be available for both weekday afternoons and Saturdays during the school year.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates will interview and attend one event before final considerations are made.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Free Arts Day Facilitator.”
Free Arts NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to seeking a diverse staff with respect to gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, class, educational background, religion, sexual orientation, and physical ability. All applicants are welcome.
Free Arts provides unpaid internship opportunities year round.
- Complete the intern application via this link.
- Email a current resume and a cover letter indicating which internship you are applying for, why you think you would be a good match for the role, and what you would like to learn during your internship, to Adelina, Operations Associate at email@example.com.
- Secure two references. Please share this link with your references and let them know which internship you are applying for.
Program and Operations Intern – Summer 2018
Free Arts NYC is looking for a Program and Operations Intern to participate in a summer internship designed to provide a strong knowledge of our business and the non-profit sector. Program and OPS Interns will spend the duration of their internship working within the Program and Operations Team. The goal is to expose the Intern to different areas of our business each time he or she is able to work in an extended internship capacity. The Intern experience combines hands-on training with the opportunity to meet and gain exposure to our sector. Hours are flexible and Free Arts NYC is a relaxed work environment.
- Manage data entry of volunteer and TAP mentor surveys and info
- Scanning Office and Program files into Google Drive
- Analyze data collected and make recommendations for improving data collection
- Updating Office systems and files; labeling and updating inventory
- College Portfolio research and support with social media
- Free Arts Day support and Events support
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, required
- Full-time college student (or enrolled to begin as a Freshman)
- Business or related academic major preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) required
- High-level organizational skills and the ability to work with a sense of urgency and manage multiple projects/tasks at once preferred
- A leadership/management role in campus or related extracurricular activities preferred
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is a must
Special Events and Public Relations Intern – Summer 2018
The Special Events team is tasked with raising the support and visibility of the organization through a variety of special events and campaigns that attract celebrity and corporate support. Past partnerships include Dior Beauty, DKNY, Joe Fresh, Misha Nonoo, Marc Jacobs, Harper’s Bazaar, and Vanity Fair. The intern will work in our Manhattan office to support the Special Events and Development teams in all aspects of event planning, preparation, and promotion. They will be closely involved with the planning of our signature event, Kidsfest NYC, a one-of-a-kind celebration of art and creativity where children and families will have the opportunity to experience up to a dozen hands-on activities focused around art, music, theater, and fashion. This is an opportunity to function as an integral part of the Free Arts Special Events team, and to learn the ins and outs of event planning.
This internship is ideally suited to candidates with an interest in non-profit fundraising, development, and events/marketing work within the art world. No fundraising experience is necessary, but knowledge of nonprofits, art, fashion, photography, and/or social media is a plus.
Applicants should have a meticulous attention to detail, willingness to learn, strong writing and verbal skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Research additional event partners/sponsors opportunities
- Compile a social media list of all event sponsors and committee members per event + support social media efforts via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Maintain/update press kit and all marketing collateral, communicating with our design intern about event materials
- Assist with all pro bono advertising (print, taxi, outdoor, etc.)
- Assist with press release syndication and media relations pre and post event
- Assist with writing press releases, email outreach, and other copy
- Assist with outreach for coverage about mission, programs, and volunteer/corporate supporters
- Assist with post-event thank you notes and acknowledgments
- Correspondence with vendors, sponsors, collaborating artists, services, venue etc.
- Support special event team with administrative duties as needed